Roly Poly

Tuesday, March 24, 2009


Now that Elizabeth can roll over from her back to tummy, she's been rolling over non-stop! I caught her sleeping this morning on her tummy and snapped a few shots before she woke up. With the "back to sleep" campaign and preventing SIDS, I was a little scared at first and tried rolling her onto her back when I put her down for her bedtime tonight. But she kept rolling over onto her tummy. I've read that once babies have good enough head control and can roll over in both directions, the risk of SIDS greatly reduces. Plus there's not much I can do if my headstrong daughter prefers to sleep on her tummy! What am I going to do -watch over her crib all night and keep moving her onto her back?
Update 4/15/09: Elizabeth has been sleeping on her tummy for over 3 weeks now and seems to sleep really well that way. I guess she's a stomach sleeper just like her daddy! I still put her down for naps and bedtime on her back but eventually she finds her way onto her tummy. I've been checking on her several times a night (can't help it) and sometimes she'll be sleeping right up beside her crib bumpers. With the fear of suffocation, I'm always worried so I move her to the center of her crib. At least her face is turned away and not buried in the bumpers but I'd rather her be in the safest position possible. I've read mixed reviews on those mesh bumpers so we'll keep the current ones in place for now because they fit and I don't want her legs and arms getting stuck outside the rails. But we'll definitely remove them once Elizabeth starts pulling herself up. And that won't be far off now! Elizabeth is a wiggle worm and has been moving and scooching all around her crib. I find her diagonal, sideways and at the opposite end of her crib and facing the other direction!

No comments: